Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Where Are We?

I recently visited Washington D.C. on business. I stayed in a nice hotel, The Topaz on N Street. Got my morning fix at the nearby Starbucks (there's one nearby everywhere). I took the Metro and wondered why we don't have more city transportation systems like this.

I passed the pan handlers and beggars, and the street corner vendors setting up for the days business as I walked to the offices where I'd spend the next 8 to 10 hours developing business models for future use. It really isn't important what the business was. As the days turned into weeks I began to wonder why do we plan for the future as though we have any idea what the future will be. Why don't we plan the future? You know, create the future we want.

The more I think about it the more I know that's where we all need to be. My Dad use to tell me, "today will take care of itself" and I never quite got it. Standing looking at the Washington Monument, I got it. Started in 1848 the Washington Monument was built for the future. White marble, for durability, and careful foundations to ensure it would still be standing for generations.

The builders weren't so much thinking about "today" (July 4, 1848) they were thinking about making a statement for generations to come. I think most people live for the moment, "I want it now" is the cry most children have.

So, today will take care of itself, we've laid a foundation to operate on for now. Is it a sound foundation? Will it last? Can we build a solid future on it? How do we make certain we are ready for the future? Who would you like to decide your future? I want to make my own future, and contribute to the success of the future of the USA.

To that end let's discuss where we are. How can we decide where to go, if we don't know where we are?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home